Neck pain is a common condition and according to statistics from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) around 10-15% of the population has neck pain at any given time.
Most episodes of neck pain are usually of short duration lasting about 2-10 days and aren’t serious with less than 1% chance of the pain being due to a serious medical condition (NHMRC). In most cases there is no history if injury.
The most common cause of neck pain is sustained poor posture. Neck muscles can be strained from poor posture at the computer, reading, sleeping in a bad position or DIY tasks at home. Poor posture causes imbalances in the muscle structures surrounding the neck causing tightness to build over a period of time. This tightness eventually leads to muscular spasms and decreased joint mobility that cause pain.
Common characteristics of acute neck pain include:
- Stiff neck
- Pain in the back of the neck
- Limited range of motion
- Radiating pain into the head, shoulders and chest
HOW CAN AN OPTIMUM MUSCULAR HEALTH MYOTHERAPIST HELP YOUR NECK PAIN?
Our Myotherapists have had years of experience in treating acute neck pain. With their expertise and knowledge of the muscles surrounding the neck you should get relief from your symptoms after the first consultation!
As neck pain is usually the result of continued poor posture or repetitive strain, we, at Optimum Muscular Health believe that although treatment is great and can be very effective, it will have a band-aid approach and high recurrence rate if the cause of the neck pain is not identified.
Therefore as part of your initial consultation at Optimum Muscular Health we will go through:
- A thorough history detailing daily activities and habits
- A postural analysis and muscle testing to identify the areas of muscle imbalance or weakness
- With our hands on treatment approach we will work on all the relevant muscle structures around the neck and any other related areas, relieving symptoms and increasing muscle and joint range of motion without any bone cracking manipulations.
Furthermore we will work together to eliminate the causative factors, advise you on good posture, exercises and stretches to help maintain good muscle strength and balance. Thus decreasing the risk of your neck pain recurring.